Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Comfort Food: Whole Wheat Chicken Pot Pies with Kale

Chicken pot pies remind me of my childhood. We ate them probably once a week–the frozen ones that came in little aluminum tins with chicken, carrots, and peas. And that delicious pastry. The house smelled so good when they were in the oven, and we'd race to the table when the buzzer went off. Mom would bring them to the table with (unheeded) instructions to let them cool off a bit. I loved the moment when my fork would break open the crust and a huge gust of steam would escape. The filling was practically boiling. Despite mom's warnings of "Be careful, you'll burn your tongues!" we dove right in, blowing on each bite briefly, and of course promptly scalding our entire mouths. We'd spit out the first bite and gulp our cold milk to cool our scorched tongues. And then we'd dig back in and do it again.



It wasn't until last winter that I actually attempted to create my own chicken pot pies. Maybe it was something about being newly married and wanting to nest, or maybe it was the brutally cold January weather that pushed me to make this childhood favorite. Since mom had never attempted to make them from scratch (with three kids, I don't blame her!) I didn't have a recipe to go by. So I started experimenting. I knew I wanted to create a dish that was ultra-flavorful, but was hoping to make it healthier than the typical butter- and cream-laden version. I decided to make a whole wheat crust, and to add lots of veggies to the filling–carrots, celery, and kale in lieu of the peas. Instead of milk or cream in the filling, I used stock and some white wine, and added fresh thyme for an extra herbal note. The first few times I made this, I admit I used store-bought crust to save on time. But recently I thought, "how hard can it be to make my own 5-ingredient pastry dough?" As it turns out, not hard at all. This whole wheat crust recipe is super-simple to make–especially if you have a food processor. (Otherwise you can use a fork and knife, or a pastry cutter.)



Make sure to chill your dough for at least an hour before rolling out. It's important for it to have a chance to rest or else it will be tough and brittle. You can actually make the pastry dough a day in advance–just keep it wrapped in plastic wrap until you are ready to use it. Actually, this entire recipe can be made in advance, which makes it ideal for entertaining. Make your filling the day before and fill four 6-ounce ovenproof ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Just before baking, roll out your dough and cut your pastry circles, assemble the pot pies, and slide into the oven. Almost as easy as those frozen ones (and so much better!).



This is a great way to get your kids–or husbands!–to eat their veggies. With the yummy whole wheat crust and the creamy chicken filling, they'll hardly notice the carrots and kale. After eating chicken pot pie two days in a row this past weekend, Brandon said this was one of his all-time favorite things I make. Coming from a former vegetable abstainer, that's an especially high compliment! Of course, despite a lifetime of warnings, I still managed to burn my tongue on my first bite (and second, and third). No one's fault but my own...I suppose old habits die hard!

INDIVIDUAL WHOLE WHEAT CHICKEN POT PIES WITH KALE

Makes 4 pot pies

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
8 tablespoons ice cold water

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup diced celery
1 small onion, diced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup white wine
3 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1/2 bunch kale, torn into 1-inch pieces
1 egg, beaten and mixed with 1 teaspoon water

Four 6-ounce ovenproof ramekins

For the pastry, combine the flours and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is full of pea-size lumps. With the motor running, add the water slowly, just until the dough begins to come together. Dump it onto a floured surface, knead a few times, and shape into a round disc. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator at least one hour.

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

For the filling, heat 4 tablespoons butter in a large pot or Dutch oven. Saute the carrot, celery, onion, and thyme over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until the vegetables are softened and the onion is translucent. Add the flour and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes or the mixture is lightly browned, with a nutty smell. Add the wine and let simmer for a couple of minutes to absorb.

Add the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and let cook for a few minutes to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the chicken and the kale, cooking for 2-3 minutes until the kale wilts. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.

Remove the dough from the oven. Let sit out for about 10 minutes before rolling it out.

Using a rolling pin, roll the dough on a floured surface to about 1/4-inch thickness. Using a six-inch ramekin as a guide, cut the dough into 4 circles, cutting each one 1/2-inch wider on all sides than the ramekin.

Fill four ramekins with the chicken mixture. Place one dough circle on top of each ramekin, gently pressing the dough into the sides of the ramekin. Cut several small slits in the top of each crust.

Place the pot pies on a baking sheet and brush the tops with the egg wash. Sprinkle the tops of each one with sea salt.

Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before attempting to eat...I've burned my tongue many a time due to impatience!

Amy Parker Anderson (Parker Etc) said...

That looks crazy good!!!! You make it look to easy, my kitchen might catch on fire and I'll probably be covered in flour when I attempt to do this!

But honestly, love that it is such a healthy version of a pot pie recipe. Thanks for sharing this!

-Amy

-Nate said...

This makes me want to replace my pots & pans I got rid of a year ago.

Anna Watson Carl said...

Glad you guys like the recipe! No need to replace pots/pans...this is easy! You just need some ramekins.

Christine said...

Can't wait to try this! Looks delicious! :)

Cheryl Kohan said...

I adore pot pies and I adore kale...this is a match made in Heaven! Nice post and nice blog!

Marjorie said...

OMG, this was sooo good! I have 4" ramekins so I used those & it made 6. I had extra crust, though, so I egg washed the crust, cut into strips, salted it & then baked them for 15 min while the pies cooked. We LOVED them as crackers! :) My family is very picky but they did like this dish very much. I had to use onion powder instead of chopped onion. The sauce also didn't want to seem to thicken so we added corn starch. I used chicken broth instead of wine so maybe I had too much liquid to begin with? It will definitely be a keeper. Oh, I was going to add spinach in lieu of kale but didn't have it after all. We just added add'l carrots & celery. My dd who wasn't going to eat it @ all, ended up having 2! Thanks for creating such a great recipe!

Your two cents...

If you don't have a Google login, please select Name/URL from the "Comment as" list below