Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Spaghetti Carbonara with Garlicky Greens



It's been an exciting week so far. First of all, I got to spend the weekend visiting with my family in Fredericksburg, Virginia and Washington, D.C. Sadly I missed the big snow in NYC (!!) but still got plenty of cold, drizzly weather–enough to wear a scarf and hat and wish desperately for a fireplace. Second, The Yellow Table was featured on Gourmet Live as their Food Blog of the Week!! I am so honored, and excited that more people are getting the chance to read the blog. And last, but certainly not least, I created a dish the other night that might be my favorite food ever: spaghetti carbonara with garlicky greens. (Just ask Brandon–I had to stop myself from going back for a third helping.)

I made this dish on a cold, rainy night when I was craving something warm and cozy–preferably involving bacon. And what goes better with bacon than eggs and cheese? Voilà–pasta carbonara! I love this simple pasta dish, where crisp bacon is tossed with hot spaghetti, a raw egg, and some Parmesan. The heat of the pasta gently cooks the egg into a silky sauce (thinned with the pasta cooking water) that coats each strand perfectly.

As much as I love this not-so-healthy combo, I wanted to add some greens into the mix. I had some kale in the fridge, though I could have just as easily used spinach or Swiss chard. After cooking the bacon, I sautéed some shallot and garlic, then added the greens. I quickly sautéed them, seasoned them with salt and pepper, then tossed them into the pasta. It was truly a match made in heaven. I still got that bacon-egg-cheese combo I was craving, but the whole wheat spaghetti and vitamin-packed greens nudged the dish out of the totally indulgent category.



It was not a yellow table evening, I confess. We curled up on the couch with with bowls of pasta, glasses of red wine, and watched a movie. Funny enough, three and a half years ago, also on a rainy night, I made spaghetti carbonara for Brandon (and his old roommate Joel). It was the first thing I ever cooked for him. And he–the former non-veggie eater, confessed that the dish was even better now with the greens. My, how marriage changes a man!

SPAGHETTI CARBONARA WITH GARLICKY GREENS

Serves 4

It's important to boil the pasta and prepare the other ingredients at the same time–you want to combine everything when the pasta is piping hot. Prep everything while the water comes to a boil: cut the bacon, mince the garlic and shallot, etc. Once the pasta goes in the pot, start cooking the bacon, then the greens. Then toss everything together as soon as the pasta is al dente.

1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti
4 ounces (about 5 slices) nitrate-free bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 shallot, minced
1/2 bunch of greens (kale, spinach, Swiss chard), rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 egg
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for topping

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. (The water should appear cloudy from the salt.) Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 to 9 minutes. Drain pasta, saving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan until crisp,about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease.

Sauté the garlic and shallot for 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant and softened (do not brown). Add the greens and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Whisk the egg and the Parmesan together in a small bowl. Season with pepper.

Add the drained pasta back into the pot along with the egg and Parmesan mixture. Toss quickly with tongs, adding some of the pasta liquid to thin the sauce out a bit (I used about 3 tablespoons), until all the pasta strands are coated evenly. Add the bacon and the greens, tossing well.

Season with additional pepper, if desired, and serve in bowls with freshly grated Parmesan.

Nate said...

Hooray! Finally something mas siempre that I'm going to make!

Anna Watson Carl said...

Let me know how it turns out :)

Your two cents...

If you don't have a Google login, please select Name/URL from the "Comment as" list below